At the turn of the 20th century, a UT-trained meteorologist named Weston Fulton developed a thermodynamic mechanism he named a “sylphon” to honor the Norse goddess of weather.These bellows—small metallic devices used to regulate changes in temperature and pressure—are employed across multiple industries.
In 1917, Fulton built a home-base in Knoxville, TN, adjacent to his Alma Matter. From this plant, his technology was used to aid the Allied Forces in both world wars. Spin off inventions were so numerous, they were given their own category by the US Office of Patents. Bellows are still used in a variety of modern equipment, from automotive to aerospace to semiconductors.
After 90 years of operation, Fulton had been bought and sold twice, then moved from its flagship site. The original building was demolished in 2005. Only a concrete slab remained.
Because of its industrial roots, this brownfield site was passed over, despite its prime location. That all changed when a group of local investors and developers took interest in the land.
CHM, LLC had the vision to clean up and reimagine the site, which is located between the UT campus and the UTsorority village. Their planning will bring two highly-anticipated anchors to the area—a large mercantile and a premium grocery vendor. First class shops and restaurants will fill the remainder of the pedestrian friendly, two-story structure. Turn of the century factory architecture will feature highlights in stone, brick and ornamental steel.
Construction began in February 2013, and is slated for completion in 2014.